What is Shaw Mobile HotSpot

Not applicable

I live in a residential area. I just saw a new network on my wifi list.

What is Shaw Mobile HotSpot? See it in list below. This is recently added by ?

List of home wifis near my home in residential area

9 Replies

Re: What is Shaw Mobile HotSpot

shaw-don

Hello tc10 

You can find more information regarding the ShawMobileHotspot here https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-13441 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Hi shaw-don

I am interested/intrigued and learning ...

So if I read this correctly, Shaw provides Freedom users 5 GHz access to wifi network from our modems in our homes.

While we get Shaw Go Wifi access in business areas while Freedom users get wifi access in our neighbourhoods as well??

Is this correct or am I reading this incorrectly?

Thanks,

Freedom has wifi network access from our homes while we have it from business areas only?

confusedbuthapp
Grasshopper

That web page says "Shaw Internet customers who wish to have the secondary WiFi network disabled on their modem can do so at any time by visiting my.shaw.ca, navigating to the “Internet” side bar tab and clicking the ‘disable’ button under “Shaw Hotspot.”

I don't see this at all when I go there. We have a Hitron CGNM-2250 modem in our home, is this one of the types that is supposed to have this hot spot service for Freedom Mobile customers?

shaw-tony

Hey confusedbuthappy,

If your modem is bridge then you will not have the feature enabled. Otherwise, the option should be available for you to disable through your MyShaw account.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Yes i am a freedom customer and having a big gig plan com...

Scuzz-z
Grasshopper

Yes i am a freedom customer and having a big gig plan comes with shaw mobile  hot spot which is for on the go they told me when i started the plan it covered major routes for customers going to work and **bleep** .kinda like vancouver's free wifi to keep everyone hooked 

0 Kudos

Where was this disclosed to new customers and are you goi...

dingding
Grasshopper

Where was this disclosed to new customers and are you going to refund me back for the usage of my power while running a 5gz mobile hotspot from my house? 

0 Kudos

-- if you have the BlueCurve cable-modem, you are already...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dingding -- if you have the BlueCurve cable-modem, you are already running both a 2.4 Ghz and a 5.0 Ghz network inside your home.

Via the My Shaw portal, you can disable that external network.

The BlueCurve modem does not have this feature enabled.

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk The BlueCurve modem does not have this feature enabled. 

0 Kudos

-- where was this disclosed to new customers In the "fine...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dingding -- where was this disclosed to new customers

In the "fine print" in the footnotes on some of Shaw's web-sites, and in the contract document that new subscribers receive.

Recently, Shaw has changed its web-site, to only show 4 plans: 300 Mbps, 750 Mbps, 1000 Mbps, and 1500 Mbps. All of those plans come with the BlueCurve cable-modem, which @rstra correctly indicates that the BlueCurve does not currently offer that external network. A Shaw website states that the future allows that external network to become available on the BlueCurve cable-modem. This makes sense, as Shaw migrates away from the HITRON modem, and its maximum speed of 300 Mbps.

Previously, that web-site showed other plans, from Fibre+ 15 up to Fibre+ 150, that included the rental of the HITRON cable-modem.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help