Jump to solution

Bluecurve modem will not assign IP to any third party routing device in bridge mode

kevito
Grasshopper

Problem: No matter what third party router or gateway is connected to my bluecurve modem (in bridged mode), the WAN port is never able to receive an IP from shaw's DHCP. 

This is a consistent problem I have been having with this bluecurve modem. In bridged mode any device that is not a router can receive a Shaw IP address when connected to the bluecurve modem. If I connect a router or internet gateway through it's WAN port, they cannot get an IP address.

I have tried Ubiquiti's Unifi Security gateway, Ubiquiti's EdgeMAX 4 port router, various old Linksys routers, and software based server routing using ipFire or pfSense: none of them can get an WAN IP. When I connect any PC or laptop direct to the modem, I instantly get a  96.52.xxx.xxx IP address and the internet works fine. 

I spoke to Ubiquti's tech support and they have told me that they have had this issue before and that it is an ISP related issue. I agree because this problem is the same on every single router I have in the house. The only way around it is to disable bridge mode and assign the router a LAN IP from the modem, then emulate the bridge that internally to another LAN IP but any port forwarding does not work correctly and most internet applications are massively slowed down or do not work properly due to port conflicts and uPNP not working as intended either.

So shaw, what is going on? Why does the bluecurve modem know when a router is connected and why does it not be allowed to get an IP? I can connect two PCs to the modem, and I have two Shaw IPs that are assigned, but if I connect one PC to one port and a router/gateway to another, only the PC will get an IP address. It does no matter which port is used for the router, both do not get an IP. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

just to clarify, we are not running out of DHCP addresses...

shaw-tony

@kevito @Yo_Sup @LivingGod just to clarify, we are not running out of DHCP addresses. I've connected with our engineers and they've advised that this is a backend-issue tracked under PRB0051453. We have manually scheduled an update for your modems and they will require a power reset (unplug the power for 1 minute) for the update to go through. Let me know how it goes.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Hey everyone! This issue is now resolved. All modems have...

shaw-tony

Hey everyone! This issue is now resolved. All modems have been updated to the newest firmware.

View solution in original post

89 Replies
Jump to solution

It isn’t mentioned In the instructions for bridging the B...

rstra
Grand Master

It isn’t mentioned In the instructions for bridging the BlueCurve, here:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-configure-bridge-mode-on-the-bluecurve-gateway/t...

But, apparently you need to contact Shaw to have them add the free second up to your account.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I can connect two PCs to the modem, and I have two Sha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra --

I can connect two PCs to the modem, and I have two Shaw IPs that are assigned, but if I connect one PC to one port and a router/gateway to another, only the PC will get an IP address. It does no matter which port is used for the router, both do not get an IP. 

The author seems to already have done what you have suggested.

The author says that he has tried various devices, without success.  I find it strange that none of them worked, unless the Ethernet cable between his device and the Shaw router is not working (or not compatible)  -- be sure that it is a "straight-through" cable, not a "cross-over" cable. Try a different cable, preferably "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6" rated.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Same issue here. Internet 300 XB6   Linksys 1900ACS & Asu...

Yo_Sup
Grasshopper

Same issue here. Internet 300 XB6   Linksys 1900ACS & Asus ROG AX11000.  I was on chat with multiple tech supports the past two days. Shaw recently upgraded the server to support Gigabit Download Speeds, and they are running out of DHCP Addresses.

There's no issue on my end as the Asus Router says "Issue with ISP DHCP Server". All the techs say 2nd IP is enabled, yet Factory reset deletes Bridge and 2nd IP when the modem is factory reset (Hold reset button for 30 seconds).

The process to add 2nd ip is to Bridge the modem first then enable 2nd IP. Shaw says 2nd IP is lined to the account, once its enabled its enabled on the Account. Same issue with OP, only one Router works, the other doesn't. If not that, the modem can't even bootup and blinks Green forever.

I gave up with talking to Shaw and just used my own method:  XB6 Bridge Modem to WAN Linksys, from Linksys LAN to Asus WAN.  Asus Picks up a DHCP from Linksys and it functions as a separate isolated network.   I have a sense Shaw doesn't allow 2nd  IP on Internet Plans not rated for Shaw Fibre+ Gig

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

My firestick connect to router but no internet connection...

LivingGod
Grasshopper

My firestick connect to router but no internet connection. I had firestick last november and it worked with old modem and now i got this blue curve modem , it do not connect with internet

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

FireStick + XB6 WPA Personal

Yo_Sup
Grasshopper

Access the XB6 with a computer browser 10.0.0.1    Username: admin   default password:  password

Firestick connect to Wifi, is the XB6 Wifi mode set to  Wifi A B G AC?  Maybe the modem is not seeing the firestick because of different security protocol.  Try Auto band A B G AC with WPA/WPA2 Personal

0 Kudos
Yo_Sup
Grasshopper

Same issue persists. It's issues related to the Shaw server due to recent Shaw upgrade. 

I put in a new Coax cable from splitter to modem ,  and repatched the 100ft CAT5e solid copper cable RJ45 to TIA 568B (router to router), stable gigabit signal.

ps: MoCA adaptor doesn't work with the XB6 Internet Modem anymore. Leave that disabled because Shaw refuse to enable that functionality too even when you set as enable via modem settings 10.0.0.1

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I can elaborate more with  the strangeness: All my tests...

kevito
Grasshopper

I can elaborate more with  the strangeness:

All my tests have been done using 

a) the same cabling setups and ports as it worked originally

and,

b) completely different cabling

All my cabling is good here as they work fine between computers. What is the absolute strange part is when I setup my Dell R720 server with say Win10 as a simple network client, I can get an IP on every single ethernet port (It has about 20 installed). Using the exact same cable and port that has an IP from the modem under Win10, it no longer shows a linkup with the router when I switch over the server to pfSense standalone, or ipFire standalone. So it absolutely cannot be cabling or the ethernet cards. It even does the same behavior for those routing linux/freebsd distros under virtualization in both HyperV (and probably other type-1 hypervisors).

The only differences between a bare metal router distribution like pfSense or virtualized versions vs. an actual standalone hardware router, is how the MAC address is handled. I am very strongly leaning to something on Shaw's back end blocking all MAC addresses that are from third party routing, which is very strange that it would only block routing and not clients. Short of trying to change the MAC address of my routers to something that matches a consumer NIC, I am at a loss as to how to make this work.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Shaw issues only 1 IP now

Yo_Sup
Grasshopper

kevito

Seems this is a network wide issue on Shaw's Server when they opened up more bandwidth to support Fibre+ Gig. Probably now only one external Router per Modem. We're all having the same issues  all the techs at Shaw refuse to acknowledge the problem. They push back the blame saying its my computer or cable or Router, go contact your router manufacturer when my Router clearly says "there's a problem with the ISP Proxy" 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> my Router clearly says "there's a problem with the ISP...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> my Router clearly says "there's a problem with the ISP Proxy".

There's no need for your router to use Shaw's proxy-server(s). Disable the router's setting, to avoid using any proxy.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help