Intermittent Wired Connection and Far below promised speeds (Shaw 600)

Arezoo19
Grasshopper

Hi there,

Many months ago, I had an issue with intermittent service on my WiFi and wired connections in my house. It took over 2 months for the different tiers of Shaw technicians to fix this issue for my household (Which had nothing to do with the mode, or our "device limitations". I have just returned from living outside of my home where I used a shaw 600 plan in my temporary residence. Now I have returned to my home, hooked up the same desktop computer to the wired connection in my room only to experience the same aggravating issue. I hope that this time it does not take 2 months to finally solve this issue as I am confident it must be the same problem.

Please do not ask me to turn my modem on and off again.

Here is a picture from PingPlotter 5. Using fast.com, no speed over 80 down is achieved and each speed measured is paired with HIGH latency

ShawBad.png

Labels (2)
21 Replies

Thank you for providing me this detailed info. Checking y...

shaw-tony

@Arezoo19 Thank you for providing me this detailed info. Checking your account the signal looks solid with no errors to report. There are also no issues reported in your area. Can you tell me if you have any 3rd party routers or switches attached to the modem? Do you noticing dropped packets to only certain sites or is Google.ca, Youtube.com, and Shaw.ca dropping packets as well?

0 Kudos

Hey Tony,   Thanks for the reply. No 3rd party routers. W...

Arezoo19
Grasshopper

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the reply. No 3rd party routers. We have a switch attached. I have tested devices directly to the modem and they also showed this pattern. I noticed this early morning it was reaching up to 500 mbps, but as the day went on (and more residents returned home in my small neighbourhood on Range 233) it decreased to where it is currently sitting at 15-40 mbps down with lots of latency and packet loss. The packet drop has been consistent across sites. 

I reckon it could be some issues with the infrastructure in the area, we had the same issue last summer as well.

0 Kudos

The font of that image is very tiny, but even the first "...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

The font of that image is very tiny, but even the first "hop" is showing response-times that are over ten times slower than they should be.

Also, the response-times to that "xx.yy.zz.1" device, which is a Shaw router in your neighbourhood, are also extremely large.

Try a different Ethernet cable, preferably "CAT-5E" or "CAT-6" (read the printed letters on the length of the cable), between your computer and your Shaw device, as a comparison.

Also, try a different computer, once with your current Ethernet cable, and once with a different Ethernet cable, as comparisons.

0 Kudos

Tried all the above already. I use CAT5e. Same results....

Arezoo19
Grasshopper

Tried all the above already. I use CAT5e. Same results. 

I have noticed it is better during early morning (2am-10am)

0 Kudos

> I have noticed it is better during early morning (2am-1...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I have noticed it is better during early morning (2am-10am)

Hmm. That is when it is colder outside. Telephone Shaw, and get an (free!) appointment for a technician to test the coaxial cables.

0 Kudos

I noticed results from Fast.com fluctuate a lot and depen...

shaw-tony

@Arezoo19 I noticed results from Fast.com fluctuate a lot and depends on the server you are connecting to. Do you notice the same results on http://speedtest.shaw.ca/

*Update* did a deeper dive and found there is indeed an area issue that we are investigating. The ticket is tracked under INC0711138. My apologies for any inconvenience!

Where do I track this ticket? Thank you

Arezoo19
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony Where do I track this ticket?

Thank you

0 Kudos

you'd have to connect with an agent each time to check. I...

shaw-tony

@Arezoo19 you'd have to connect with an agent each time to check. I won't have an ETA but will post an update when I have one available. Feel free to ping me here as well.

any updates available :)

Arezoo19
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony  any updates available 🙂

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help