Jump to solution

Shaw Webmail

Alex17
Grasshopper

My wife has just started using Webmail and is puzzled why the mail window only goes back to Dec. 24th, 2019. How can she look for an older email?

My own use of webmail goes back to February 2019.

Why the difference and how can we go back a year or s

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

There are two protocols for retrieving E-mail from Shaw:...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

There are two protocols for retrieving E-mail from Shaw:

1. POP - "Post Office Protocol" - the letter-carrier (or Shaw) puts each message into your mailbox on the outside of your home (or on Shaw's server). The first member (or computer) of your household to check the mailbox will grab all the messages, and automatically bring them into your home (or stored onto that one computer that POP'd), removing them from the mailbox.
  2. IMAP - the messages in the mailbox on the outside of your home (or on Shaw's server) stay there, permanently. Any member of your household (or any computer) can "peek" inside the mailbox, without removing the messages. Of course, if one household-member removes (deletes) the message from the mailbox, no other person (computer) can view that deleted message.

So, if your wife's computer POP'd the E-mail on December 23, all those older messages are now stored ONLY on her computer. So, when she uses IMAP, she only sees the messages that have accumulated since her most-recent usage of POP.

WebMail is an IMAP client, and many other E-mail clients, such as Microsoft Outlook, can be configured to use IMAP.

The advantage of using IMAP (including on your mobile device) is that all of your devices/computers will "peek" into the same mailbox, giving you a consistent view of all the messages still stored on Shaw's server.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Thank you for your earlier reply. We have moved on from t...

Alex17
Grasshopper

Thank you for your earlier reply.

We have moved on from the previous and now have a stable IMAP WebMail operation.

Now she would like to migrate to GMail and I understand that should be relatively straight forward.

However,  her much earlier, older POP messages are now stored ONLY on her computer.

We understand that we need to "Push" the POP messages to the Shaw Mail Server.

How do we do that?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jump to solution

There are two protocols for retrieving E-mail from Shaw:...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

There are two protocols for retrieving E-mail from Shaw:

1. POP - "Post Office Protocol" - the letter-carrier (or Shaw) puts each message into your mailbox on the outside of your home (or on Shaw's server). The first member (or computer) of your household to check the mailbox will grab all the messages, and automatically bring them into your home (or stored onto that one computer that POP'd), removing them from the mailbox.
  2. IMAP - the messages in the mailbox on the outside of your home (or on Shaw's server) stay there, permanently. Any member of your household (or any computer) can "peek" inside the mailbox, without removing the messages. Of course, if one household-member removes (deletes) the message from the mailbox, no other person (computer) can view that deleted message.

So, if your wife's computer POP'd the E-mail on December 23, all those older messages are now stored ONLY on her computer. So, when she uses IMAP, she only sees the messages that have accumulated since her most-recent usage of POP.

WebMail is an IMAP client, and many other E-mail clients, such as Microsoft Outlook, can be configured to use IMAP.

The advantage of using IMAP (including on your mobile device) is that all of your devices/computers will "peek" into the same mailbox, giving you a consistent view of all the messages still stored on Shaw's server.

Jump to solution

I have a Shaw Internet/E-Mail account. When I go into my...

littlejohn555
Grasshopper

I have a Shaw Internet/E-Mail account. When I go into my laptop mail section it has 2 kinds of mail - Shaw & Google. In the Shaw Inbox there is a wavy line icon beside Shaw. When I click on it I get Shaw Mail is not connected and it tells me to fill in my PW for it. When I do it will not recognize the PW. I changed the PW to access my account & web mail earlier today. I can access my account that way but cannot receive or send Shaw mail through my regular mail on my laptop!!! HELP!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

can you post an image of what that looks like (remove any...

shaw-tony

@littlejohn555 can you post an image of what that looks like (remove any personal information)? It sounds like you are using a 3rd party application with our email service. I'd recommend confirming the settings are similar to the ones here and updating your password to something very strong. You may need to contact the 3rd party provider for troubleshooting steps.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you for your earlier reply. We have moved on from t...

Alex17
Grasshopper

Thank you for your earlier reply.

We have moved on from the previous and now have a stable IMAP WebMail operation.

Now she would like to migrate to GMail and I understand that should be relatively straight forward.

However,  her much earlier, older POP messages are now stored ONLY on her computer.

We understand that we need to "Push" the POP messages to the Shaw Mail Server.

How do we do that?

0 Kudos