This is UNFAIR : Shaw Cancellation

aiyappabachetti
Grasshopper

Hi, Community, please help me decide if this is fair treatment:

I have been a happy and loyal shaw customer on a 2 year contract. I had to do an emergency move to a new apartment during COVID 19. The Shaw website and agent assured me that my move was processed and all I had to do was plug in my modem. I went to my new place and it did not work. Shaw sent an agent to my place who understandably refused to enter the building electrical room during the social distancing period. I risk losing my job if I do not get connected by today (3 days since my first call to Shaw).

Now, Telus has agreed to work a solution with me and get me connected today. However, the loyalty department from Shaw is asking me to pay cancellation fees for each month in my contract which does not let me make a decision and move to Telus! I understand them not being able to send a technician but they are not making ANY attempt to understand my situation of not having internet and being unable to work. This is so unfair, Need community and social media support to get this resolved! 

51 Replies

I know you have a lot on our mind and understand the need...

shaw-tony

@aiyappabachetti I know you have a lot on our mind and understand the need to have services working as expected. Our number one priority is the health and safety of our customers and employees. We've enabled Shaw Go WiFi for you to stay connected. As for disconnecting your account, our loyalty team is the best to consult that with.

Hi Tony, I completely understand prioritizing the safety...

aiyappabachetti
Grasshopper

Hi Tony, I completely understand prioritizing the safety of employees and customers but please advise on the following since I expect Shaw to understand my side of the story and work with me too:

1) I have spent over 6 hours each day (have screenshots for proof) being forwarded to the Loyalty department. If the phone finally connects, people on the other end do not say a word and disconnect the call. Is there really a loyalty department? If yes, Why is there no email or direct line to reach them in a time of crisis like this?

2) I want to suspend my Shaw services and stop the billing cycle. Also, not have to pay cancellation fees considering the nature of this situation but every Shaw agent I spoke to says they do not have authority to suspend an account and puts me on never-ending hold to a loyalty department that seemingly is non-existent.

This leaves customers like me with no choice but to use social media to get your attention. PLEASE HELP and have a LOYALTY agent reach out to me and work with me to process a clean cancellation. This is ridiculous because TELUS understood my situationa and assigned a personal resource to work closely with me and get me connected in time to be able to keep my job.

I have all the time in the world to go to the bottom of t...

aiyappabachetti
Grasshopper

I have all the time in the world to go to the bottom of this situation and get the attention it deserves because I feel like Shaw is making no attempt to understand my situation at all.

> However, the loyalty department from Shaw is asking me...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> However, the loyalty department from Shaw is asking me to pay cancellation fees for each month in my contract

You signed the contract. That is a fact.

However, a few months ago, two salespersons from Telus came to my front door, offering to "pay out" the existing months on my two-year Value Plan, if I switched to Telus Internet. I think that you should talk to Telus' "loyalty department", and see if they will make a similar offer to you.

>  I risk losing my job if I do not get connected by today (3 days since my first call to Shaw).

Did I hear Prime Minister Justin Trudeau state that no person would lose their employment due to COVID-19 ?

Meanwhile, talk to your new neighbours in your apartment block. Are any of them willing to assist you, by temporarily giving you access to their wireless network?  Yes, it is a violation of your neighbours' contract with Shaw to not "redistribute" their connectivity. But, In these unusual times, will Shaw pursue your neighbour?

Do you have a laptop computer and an automobile? If so, you could park near a Shaw WiFi access point, or near a Starbucks, or near a public library, and use their "free WiFi", and keep your job.

0 Kudos

I want to cancel my Shaw internet. When I signed up I was...

Summerville5g
Grasshopper

I want to cancel my Shaw internet. When I signed up I was told I could disconnect anytime. I have lost my job and have had to move in with a friend. Thank you. *mod removed personal info*

0 Kudos

I stayed on the line 8 hours yesterday and no one was abl...

Summerville5g
Grasshopper

I stayed on the line 8 hours yesterday and no one was able to talk to me or call me back. 

I understand your frustrations. At this time, our regular...

shaw-tony

@aiyappabachetti @Summerville5g I understand your frustrations. At this time, our regular agents on the phone/chat/social will be able to disconnect your account. Again, with everything happening, we are doing our best to respond to everyone quickly and your patience is greatly appreciated!

I am in the same situation i moved and asked to have my s...

Johnjtassie1983
Grasshopper

I am in the same situation i moved and asked to have my service transferred they said they couldn’t do that without sending a tech and due to covid they weren’t sending techs out for service and said they would stop my service and waive the any cancellation fees and now 45 days after I moved they are trying to make me pay the cancellation fee 

0 Kudos

-- said they would stop my service and waive the any canc...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Johnjtassie1983 -- said they would stop my service and waive the any cancellation fees and now 45 days after I moved they are trying to make me pay the cancellation fee 

Every time that you contact Shaw, the employee should be adding notes to your account, documenting the date/time of your call, and details, such as their offer to waive fees.

Did you return the rented equipment (cable-modem? Phone terminal? TV terminal?). View your bills (or contact Shaw to get them to view them) to see what you are being charged for, and to review those "notes" from 45 days ago.

TALK TO US
We're here to help