Jump to solution

My neighbor used to be a Shaw installer and offered some...

robs113
Grasshopper

My neighbor used to be a Shaw installer and offered some insight.

The Shaw techs have access to data showing every time your link goes up or down. Mine was going down multiple times a day.

The phone support people also have access but until I specifically asked, them they did not seem to look at it.

As all the cable from the pole to my modem had been changed, I asked for someone to check (change) the connector at the pole. 

That fixed my problem. I have had a few months now without any issues.

Jump to solution

Given the "repeatability" of the outages, login to the we...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Given the "repeatability" of the outages, login to the web-interface of your Shaw router, and check the IP-address and "lease" values, namely the date/time for "lease-obtained" and "lease-expiry". If the values are about one hour apart, then it's possible that the router is not properly "renewing" the lease during that window of time. If that lease is allowed to expire, then the device will lose its Internet access, until the lease is renewed.  Also, check the date/time inside the router -- if the value is "outside" of the start/end times of the lease, then it is possible that the "renew" request is not being sent within the window of time.

Compare to talking to a friend on the move (walking/driving) with a weak cell-phone connection. You might need to say "are you still there?" when their connection briefly goes away (inside a tunnel?), before resuming your conversation.

Jump to solution

the above is not a known issue. I checked into your accou...

shaw-tony

@RMA the above is not a known issue. I checked into your account and see the signal is off-spec. I'd recommend some troubleshooting steps here to see if it will resolve the problem. If the issue persists, please contact our technical support team to schedule a service visit so we can fix that right up!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have the same issue.  My laptop tells me I am still con...

thecdnrock
Grasshopper

I have the same issue.  My laptop tells me I am still connected to the home network but that I have lost internet access.  This can happen sometimes a few times every day.  It drives me crazy.  I am doing a one week online course next week and if it keeps dropping like this I am going to have issues for sure.   

Jump to solution

that's odd. Does this happen with any other device (other...

shaw-tony

@thecdnrock that's odd. Does this happen with any other device (other laptops, phones, etc)? What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, it happens with other devices as well.  It seems the...

thecdnrock
Grasshopper

Yes, it happens with other devices as well.  It seems the worst with my laptop though.  I happens with phones and other computers in the home.  We have done the rebooting of the modem.  I have completely disconnected the coax cable too and done the reset.  We have double checked the drivers for the wireless connections as well.  I understand wireless interference completely.  We use the 5GHZ  connection.  It has become so frustrating to be honest.  I am ready to go and get a 3rd party wireless router as we have done before.  I was assured there would be no need for it with this new one.  But it is in and out some days.  Just drops for a few minutes and then comes back on its own.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

thanks for the info. The modem shouldn't be going offline...

shaw-tony

@thecdnrock thanks for the info. The modem shouldn't be going offline and back on. I checked your account and do see the upstream signal is a bit off-spec which can cause the disconnections you are experiencing. I'd recommend scheduling a service tech visit to improve your signal and to ensure there are no issues with the modem.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have the same problems. I have phoned Shaw so many time...

Jimberta
Grasshopper

I have the same problems. I have phoned Shaw so many times and no one ever has an answer. Switching to Telus because I’m fed up. Connection drops repeatedly all day long. Can’t FaceTime or Skype, can hardly even browse the Internet. Definitely can’t use two devices at the same time despite upgrading to Bluecurve 600. Not paying almost $200 a month for a product that isn’t working. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> Switching to Telus ... Before you do, telephone Shaw, a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Switching to Telus ...

Before you do, telephone Shaw, and get them to remotely connect to your cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength", and other measurements. If the feed into the modem is "off-specifications", that could cause your problems. Changing the cable-modem to "bridge" mode, and adding your own wired/wireless router will NOT solve your problem.

If necessary, Shaw could dispatch a technician to check the signal-strength on the telephone-pole, and on the "demarcation-box" on the outside of your home.  But, the technician is not allowed to enter your home.

During the current COVID-19 pandemic, any technician dispatched by TELUS may take weeks to get to your location, and then will only work outside your home -- from the nearest telephone-pole to a "demarcation-box" on the outside of your home. The technician is not allowed to enter your home to complete the wiring, and to connect the Telus router.

Be 100% sure about the date that the TELUS technician will be able to do both the "outside" and the "inside" wiring. Don't cancel your Shaw Internet until the Telus Internet is working.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am having the same problem and nobody knows whats going...

Axzillion
Grasshopper

I am having the same problem and nobody knows whats going on. Is this a game? Every time i try to reach out i cant even complete the **bleep** call!i should not be having to troubleshoot YOUR TECH. I want something that works! So sick of all these complications. So now theyll send me a new modem??? Maybe that will work they say! MAYBE. AS IF MY. MONEY IS WORTH THE GUESSING GAMES

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help