Jump to solution

With new blue curve, Internet connection lost for about 5 minutes every couple of hours.

robs113
Grasshopper

First couple of months new blue curve modem worked fine.

Recently I started getting connection lost for about 5 minutes... every few hours... every day.

Shaw support says it looks fine to them. We have had tech out multiple times.. look ok to them 😞

As the outage is only for 5 min, and you can NEVER access shaw support that quickly, they never see it when its broken.

Super frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas (other than switching to Telus which I am currently looking into)

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

My neighbor used to be a Shaw installer and offered some...

robs113
Grasshopper

My neighbor used to be a Shaw installer and offered some insight.

The Shaw techs have access to data showing every time your link goes up or down. Mine was going down multiple times a day.

The phone support people also have access but until I specifically asked, them they did not seem to look at it.

As all the cable from the pole to my modem had been changed, I asked for someone to check (change) the connector at the pole. 

That fixed my problem. I have had a few months now without any issues.

View solution in original post

46 Replies
Jump to solution

am on the phone to them now, am annoyed

keef
Grasshopper

am on the phone to them now, am annoyed

Jump to solution

Hope you have better luck that I did. Further, just hap...

robs113
Grasshopper

Hope you have better luck that I did.

Further, just happened again and when I did a "Test Connectivity" from the modem admin, I get..

Connectivity to the Internet:Inactive: Error_CannotResolveHostName

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Does the light on the top of the modem change when you're...

shaw-valerie

@robs113 Does the light on the top of the modem change when you're experiencing connection issues? Are there any troubleshooting steps that you need to do to restore the connection, or does it just return on its own? 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

From a command-line prompt, enter:  IPCONFIG /ALL Look at...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

From a command-line prompt, enter:  IPCONFIG /ALL

Look at the values for "Lease obtained" and "Lease expires". Do the values make sense, relative to the date/time on your computer?  If your computer has the wrong date/time, your computer will not ask for a "renewal" of the lease until after the lease has expired, which results in a "disconnection".

Compare to not updating your classic wrist-watch for the start of Daylight Saving Time, and then agreeing to meet a friend at noon at a cafe'. Your friend will show-up at noon (Daylight), but you will show-up one hour later (Standard time), and you probably will not "connect" with your friend.  But, if your wrist-watch is, say, 5 minutes slow, you will show-up 5 minutes late, annoying your friend, but you will "connect".

Jump to solution

I will check the light next time it happens. Should not b...

robs113
Grasshopper

I will check the light next time it happens.

Should not be long as it has gone out 4 times in the last few hours.

No, I do nothing, it returns all by itself.

I have stated timing it, and it seems to go out for 5 to 10 minutes.

mdk:

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : August 9, 2019 5:42:13 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : September 14, 2019 7:42:20 AM

It is Sept 7 now.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Light does not change, stays white.   Connection comes ba...

robs113
Grasshopper

Light does not change, stays white.

Connection comes back by itself after 5-10 min.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Shaw Bluecurve modem issues

Spiritorb
Grasshopper

I have been having the exact same problem. Once a day, the internet connection is lost, and the modem is showing a flashing green light. After a minute or so, the connection comes back on. I have also noticed that the fan inside the Bluecurve modem does not speed up like it used to. The top of the modem seems a bit on the warm side as well. Why does equipment from Shaw seem so LOUSY?? This is a problem with the bluecurve modem, as the phone, also with Shaw, does not fail. I am SERIOUSLY ready to jump ship from Shaw due to all the equipment problems! 

Jump to solution

are you noticing this issue with multiple devices during...

shaw-tony

@robs113 are you noticing this issue with multiple devices during the 5-10 minutes or is it just on the one PC? The signal in your area looks solid with no errors to report. Do you have any 3rd party routers/switches attached to the modem? 

@Spiritorb do you notice the issue happen at random times or during a specific time? If the modem flashes back to green then it means it has lost signal or power. If you have the modem plugged into a power bar, please plug it directly to a wall outlet. Also, ensure the coax cable connections from the wall outlet, splitter, and modem are tightly seated. Keep me posted.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Is this a known issue with Shaw, I am having the same thi...

RMA
Grasshopper

Is this a known issue with Shaw, I am having the same things happening, brief freezes, unstable internet connection and then completely restores itself after a minute or so.  This is very annoying when on conference calls and I am the only one dropping off the call, especially since I upgraded to the 600mbps to this doesn't happen.  I an looking for a resolution to this.  I have had contact with support but they do not see an issue as it has not happened while on call to them

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help