Shaw Exchange email broken

GChuckWright
Grasshopper

I just bought a new Pixel 8 phone and set it up the same as my Pixel 3.  I use Exchange email settings so that all email, contacts, calendars and tasks are synchronized.  I have used the same settings on my Windows and Linux desktops, two iPads and multiple phones over the years without problem.  However on my new phone using GMail, it is now broken.  Whet setting up the GMail app, I get a message to "Switch to modern auth", but nowhere does it tell me how to do this.  Anyways, when I enter the normal parameters which I always use, I then get a message that says "Cannot connect to server".  I cannot be the only person having this problem.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Is it Shaw email, gmail, or both that are causing the pro...

rstra
Grand Master

@GChuckWright Is it Shaw email, gmail, or both that are causing the problems?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your response.   GChuck

GChuckWright
Grasshopper

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your response.

GChuck

0 Kudos

-- is the Shaw document at: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/in...

mdk
Grand Master

@GChuckWright -- is the Shaw document at: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-do-i-configure-my-shaw-email-settings-on-my-android...  useful to you, even though you have a PIXEL device, not an ANDROID device?

0 Kudos

That document is absolutely of NO use to me! As I said in...

GChuckWright
Grasshopper

That document is absolutely of NO use to me!

As I said in my original post, I'm using Exchange mail or as it is really known as ActivSync.  This type of mail uses "push" technology to send messages to your device.  It also keeps mail, calendar, contacts and task in sync with other devices such as my iPads and both my Windows and Linux desktops.  If I read a message on one device, then it shows as being read on all devices.  The same can be said for your contacts, calendar and tasks.  I have been using this type of mail with Shaw for at least 20 years and it is far superior than POP or IMAP.  The link is here: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-set-up-your-shaw-email/ta-p/6497.

Anyways, it appears that Google has changed the security requirements for ActivSync and Shaw's mail server (Zimbra, I believe) has not been updated to accept these new requirements.

Finally, a Pixel device is a PURE Android device, the way Google (the designer of Android) envisioned Android to be and not a bastardized and butchered device like that which comes from Samsung!

GChuck

0 Kudos

wrote: Shaw's mail server (Zimbra, I believe)  Zimbra is...

mdk
Grand Master

@GChuckWright wrote: Shaw's mail server (Zimbra, I believe) 

Zimbra is the web-interface between your web-browser and their "WebMail" web-server. That's the only place that the Zimbra software is used.

Shaw uses Microsoft Exchange Server to send/receive/transport/store E-mail messages, so that E-mail clients can use POP or IMAP to access your mailbox on the Exchange Server.

What error-messages are you getting?  Any other symptoms? 

Do you have a "strong" password for your E-mail ID?

0 Kudos

I've used Zimbra Desktop as my MUA on both my Windows and...

GChuckWright
Grasshopper

I've used Zimbra Desktop as my MUA on both my Windows and Linux desktops for years.  I know it is no longer supported by Synacor, but it still does a better job than anything else that I can find.  Most importantly, it supports ActivSync for mail, calendars, task and contacts. 

GMail has also always supported ActivSync and I have used it on my Google phones (starting with the original Nexus phone) since 2009.

The Apple IOS mail app also uses and supports ActivSync and I have used it on my iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Mini 6 and most recently my iPad Air 5.

All  these devices continue to work with Shaw's Exchange (ActivSync) mail server using the recommended setup parameters.  However, on both my Google Pixel 8 and a friends newly bought Google Pixel 7, mail seems not to work properly.  Both these devices had their settings and app moved automatically from Pixel 3's using the Google transfer process.  The mail worked for about a week and then started to fail when trying to send an email.  The email message would be trapped in the outbox and no further error message was displayed.   So I then tried to remove the mail account and re-add it.  The first thing I noticed when trying to re-add the account was a little message the said to "Use the modern security" or something like that.  When I entered in the required settings for the mail account and entered this info, I would get a message back saying "Could not connect to server".  I was using the standard recommended settings as follows:

Email address: Your Shaw email address
Domain: shaw.ca
Username: Your Shaw email address, without @shaw.ca
Password: Your Shaw email password
Exchange server: wm.shaw.ca
Use secure connection (SSL): Yes 
Use client certificate: No

I'm not sure it this problem is with Shaw or Google, but I think Google changed or hardened the requirements to access Exchange type mail servers.  And if Shaw is using a real Exchange server(s) is there something that they must do to allow Google to connect to their server(s)?  I use a relatively strong password but it could be strengthened further if that would allow unfettered access to my email.

On Monday morning I reset my Pixel 8 to factory and then did a fresh app and settings transfer from my Pixel 3.  It has been working ok but I have not (dared) try sending any emails just yet.  OK, just tried to send an email and it worked!  Maybe it's fixed, but I'll wait and see for a few more days.  The person with the Pixel 7 brought this to my attention and her phone worked great for about 10 days before messages ceased to be sent and were stuck in her outbox.

GChuck

0 Kudos