Bluecurve poor performance

dem1001
Grasshopper

I recently upgraded to from Internet 75 Bluecurve 300 to take advantage of the promised greater speed and mesh wifi, only to learn after the install that the pods are not yet available in Ontario.  On top of that I have noticed no increase in speed and have performed many speed tests over the past few weeks.  The download speeds have varied from 5.to 37 Mb/sec except for one test that returned 92.61 at 4:30 pm on 18 April.  The upload speed on that test was 12.53 with  upload speeds for the remaining tests 0.19 to 19.  So today I went through the procedure you suggest regarding slow internet.  With a direct ethernet connection to the modem in safe mode I got 46.78 download and 16.00 upload, only slightly better than direct connect in normal mode of 46.36 down and 15.95 up.  These are all after resetting the modem.  The initial speeds before reset were 44.60 down and 16.72 up.

I didn't sign a 2 year contract for this.

So, where is the higher speed and when can I expect the Bluecurve pods?

Tags (1)
21 Replies

Re: Bluecurve poor performance

shaw-tony

Hey dem1001,

Thank you for reaching out! There may be several factors to why you are noticing slower speeds such as WiFi interference or poor signal from the coax cable outlet to your modem. I will recommend trying some of the troubleshooting steps here to reseat your coax cable connections. Then, please run a speed test at http://speedtest.shaw.ca. If you continue to experience Internet issues, your best bet is to touch base with technical support to further troubleshoot or to schedule a technician. At this time, I do not have any details to when the Shaw BlueCurve Pods will be available in your area. When/if they are available, we will post them up on Community and www.shaw.ca. I appreciate your patience.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Re: Bluecurve poor performance

dkcanuck
Grasshopper

I had the same issue.  Getting over 300 with my Hitron.  Switched to Blue Curve and got 15 max.  Tech told me it was the switch I had and I needed to go direct to modem.  Same switch I had for years I might add and my whole house is CAT5 so operating direct and using wifi is dumb.  Tech also told me to give it a few days to "stabilize".  Yeah, from 15 MBps to 600 by just waiting a few days.

I put it in a box and sent it back and reverted to my Hitron.  Getting 300 again.  Same switch!

A couple days ago I went BlueCurve 300 internet.  Using m...

stanwegner
Grasshopper

A couple days ago I went BlueCurve 300 internet.  Using my iPhone 10s and Shaw's Speedtest app my download speed is 120 and upload around 10.  Not nearly 300 but a whole lot faster than the 50 I was getting with Shaw’s previous plan and equipment.   I suppose if I disconnected wifi from all my devices the numbers would improve.   Thoughts?

depending on which network you are on the speeds will dif...

shaw-tony

@stanwegner depending on which network you are on the speeds will differ, WiFi interference may also play in part with the maximum speeds. I have more details on that here.

If you connect to the 5G network, you should get faster speeds. Do you have other devices that are 5G capable to run a speed test? Also, what speeds do you notice with a direct ethernet connection to a PC?

0 Kudos

My speed consistently low too

Freezns
Grasshopper

I, too, have consistently low speeds after upgrading to Bluecurve. I have Bluecurve 300 and my speed test is consistently around the 16mbps level (between 13.3 and 16.7) for download and upload speed of 1.3mbps to 1.8mbps. It's not a major issue for us, as we don't required multiple TV's streaming HD content, but it is pretty disappointing, as we had expected a significant increase going from Internet 15 to this. I have no idea what it could be, as we've done all the troubleshooting things. Perhaps it's the long distance from our Shaw 'turtle' to the house, but I wouldn't expect signal drop to be that much.

What ever you want to call it these premium wifi services...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

What ever you want to call it these premium wifi services from isp are a joke. your best option is something like unifi gear like I have. shaw 600 and zero coverage and speed issues. Have multiple AP units all hardwired back to the main location that includes the gateway.

Another benifit is if I switch to someone else I can easily just unplug shaw, plug into the new provider and minor tweek on the isp gear and I am good to go.

0 Kudos

I'm getting very good performance with the BlueCurve mode...

Deanster
Grasshopper

I'm getting very good performance with the BlueCurve modem just installed a few hours ago - in excess of 320mbps over wifi 2 floors up from the modem.  Faster than on my Cat5 wired network through 2 switches!  I'm also no longer needing my second access point because the signal is great throughout the house.  It's worth noting that with the protected browsing turned on the speed drops by more than 70% - guess I won't be using that "feature".  

I could not get as good from my previous Hitron gear.  We are also located less than 3 miles from Shaw's main office in Winnipeg so that probably doesn't hurt.  I'm willing to wager there's a lot of poor signals going into a lot of residences who then are unable to get the speeds they upgraded to.  Not sure about any Shaw data collection or other questionable practices getting in the way.  I'm more inclined to blame signal degradation to the home and overloaded circuits for poor trhoughput.

slow speeds are indeed frustrating. I checked your accoun...

shaw-tony

@Freezns slow speeds are indeed frustrating. I checked your account and see the signal to the modem is out of spec and needs to be addressed. Do you have any splitters between the coax connected to the wall outlet and your modem? I'd recommend trying some troubleshooting steps here to see if it helps. Also, are you noticing slow speeds over WiFi only or are direct ethernet connections to PC slow as well? Keep me posted.

0 Kudos

> Faster than on my Cat5 wired network through 2 switches...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Faster than on my Cat5 wired network through 2 switches! 

Hmm. That "CAT-5" cable is certified only to 100 Mbits/second.

Experiment: purchase one "CAT-5e" cable -- certified to 1000 Mbits/second, and use it to connect one of your computers directly to your BlueCurve modem, and run the Shaw SpeedTest.  Make sure that your computer is at least 2.5 Ghz dual-core, because the SpeedTest uses lots of processing power -- so much that a 1.6 Ghz dual-core laptop cannot achieve the "best" result.

TALK TO US
We're here to help