iPhone 8 connection issues

echoi69
Grasshopper

So my elderly father currently uses one of my old iPhone 8's as his own personal phone.  No data included.   

Overall no major issues EXCEPT when he tries to call either one of my siblings or some of his friends off his phone.  All of those calls goes straight to voicemail!   However when he calls me direct I receive his calls without issue. 

I've reviewed his iPhone settings to see if there was anything that was off, but nothing looks out of sorts.  Is just time to switch him over to a more friendly senior flip-phone or is there something Apple related I should look into?!?

TIA!  

0 Kudos
6 Replies

-- I think that Apple will not be able to help, because t...

mdk
Grand Master

@echoi69 -- I think that Apple will not be able to help, because there is nothing wrong with the iPhone 8.

Are you saying that some of his "outgoing" calls go to voice-mail, except when calling you?

What area-codes & exchange-codes is he calling, e.g., calls to 250-995-xxxx connects,  while calls to 778-265-xxxx go to voice-mail ?  What is his iPhone's area-code & exchange-code?

Does your SIM fit into his iPhone?  If so, then insert it, and call one of those "straight-to-voice-mail" numbers. It should connect. The change in telephone-numbers should change the "routing" of the call.

In this world of "phone number portability", when examining a number, one cannot determine which company (Bell, Telus, Shaw, Rogers) will be accepting the connection, and will be routing the call into their network.  There is one large database that determines the "routing" of every call. For example, calling 250-477-0001 may be routed into a Telus land-line customer, while calling 250-477-0002 may be routed to a Rogers Mobility customer.

I recommend that you call his provider, to get them to check that large database. Any "unrouteable" call will be sent to his provider's voice-mail system, as you/he have observed. Give them a list of what numbers "work", and which ones go to voice-mail.

You will want to contact your provider, or you could post...

rstra
Grand Master

@echoi69  You will want to contact your provider, or you could post this to the Rogers community if he was migrated from Shaw mobile to Rogers.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Wireless/ct-p/Wireless

Are you saying that some of his "outgoing" calls go to vo...

echoi69
Grasshopper

Are you saying that some of his "outgoing" calls go to voice-mail, except when calling you?  

A: YUP!  It's so strange!  

What area-codes & exchange-codes is he calling, e.g., calls to 250-995-xxxx connects,  while calls to 778-265-xxxx go to voice-mail ?  What is his iPhone's area-code & exchange-code?   

A: All phone numbers are the typical BC local #'s beginning with either 604 or 778 prefixes. 

I recommend that you call his provider, to get them to check that large database. Any "unrouteable" call will be sent to his provider's voice-mail system, as you/he have observed. Give them a list of what numbers "work", and which ones go to voice-mail.

A:  Will do!

Does your SIM fit into his iPhone?  If so, then insert it, and call one of those "straight-to-voice-mail" numbers. It should connect. The change in telephone-numbers should change the "routing" of the call.   

A: Yes the SIM fits just fine.   I can re-insert it on my next visit with him to see if that does in fact work. 

0 Kudos

Who is his provider?

rstra
Grand Master

@echoi69  Who is his provider?

0 Kudos

Rogers

echoi69
Grasshopper

Rogers

0 Kudos

wrote: All phone numbers are the typical BC local #'s beg...

mdk
Grand Master

@echoi69 wrote: All phone numbers are the typical BC local #'s beginning with either 604 or 778 prefixes. 

Other BC area-codes are 250, 236, 672, and soon 257.

All the telephone-providers in BC keep adding exchanges. This means that the shared "interconnect" database is continually being updated.  So, my thought is that some update(s) has either been missed or has accidentally been "regressed" out of existence.

You state that your father's provider is Rogers. What is his phone's area-code & exchange-code?

Who are the providers for all his contacts -- those that connect, and those that go straight to voice-mail? I am hoping that there is some sort of pattern that can be communicated to Rogers, for them to check that "interconnect" database.

0 Kudos